This is my list of the best of the best in science fiction….the top ten of all time in science fiction novels.
This list pretty much goes with my other article about the top ten science fiction authors of all time. Many of the authors listed on that list will have a book on this list. The list is no specific order so number one does not mean the best. Here we go:
- The Foundation Trilogy— Isaac Asimov’s space opera about the future of civilization in pace. Considered by many to the be the best space opera ever created. Many authors claim this to be the best science fiction book ever and I would have to agree.
- Stranger in a Strange Land — Robert Heinlein’s novel about religion and freedom of spirit. Considered by some to be one of the most important works ever written in SF.
- The Time Machine & War of the Worlds — HG Wells two novels that really started the science fiction era. Radio address on War of the Worlds actually caused panic when put out on the air. One of the pioneers of science fiction.
- Ender’s Game — Orson Scott Card’s novel about a government run genius program. Earth is attacked by aliens and basically wiped out and it is up to Ender and his crew to right everything. Considered by some to be the best novel of all time in SF.
- Flowers for Algernon – Daniel Keyes novel about the dangers of messing with intelligence. Very important novel and in my opinion one of the best I ever read.
- Dune – Frank Herbert’s world of sand where water resources and one immortality drug are the keys to power. Very popular book still. Huge success as book but not in the motion picture version.
- Fahrenheit 451 — Considered by some to be the most important work ever done in SF. Story of a government that has banned all books and every citizen has to relinquish all books to be burned. 451 symbolizes the temperature needed to burn the books. In my opinion, one of the top three SF novels ever written.
- 1984 – Seen by some to symbolize America. One man rises up against Big Brother government to confront a totalitarian state. Very important novel and a great read.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey — Arthur C. Clarke’s novel about human evolution in space. On a trip to Saturn, Hal the vast computer controlling the ship starts getting ideas of his own. Huge success as both book and motion picture.
- I – Robot — Isaac Asimov’s short story collections about the dangers of robotic artificial intelligence and whether they could ever turn against their human makers. Asimov’s famous three robotic laws are given in this story. Huge success as both a book and motion pictures.
Honorable Mention Books:
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Brave New World
Rendezvous With Rama
Left Hand of Darkness
The Forever War
A Clockwork Orange
The Andromeda Strain
Now I know there will be lots of other books that I probably excluded from this list but these in my opinion are the best ones. Feel free to let me know your opinions though.